There is a new ailment out there that is plaguing many members of our industry. These individuals suffer from the disease S.O.S. (Shiny Object Syndrome).
S.O.S. is the quest to always be in search of the newest, latest, and hottest ideas and concepts. And like most things, S.O.S. is not bad in moderation. But the truly afflicted are so busy focusing on every new idea that they become unable to focus at all. Eventually they are reduced to the attention span of a lab rat.
The early warning signs of S.O.S. are…
- You’ve made the commitment to give up gluten. Although you’re not sure what it is, or why it is so evil.
- You attempt to include the word “hashtag” in at least four or more conversations per day.
- And whenever you say the word “hashtag” you use the annoying air quote gestures while saying it.
- You have an app that organizes all of your other apps
- You read e-books… and watch the e-channel all while smoking your hibiscus infused e-cigarette.
- You have a desk drawer devoted to still operational, but tragically unhip electronics. Including an I-Pod mini, a fully functioning Blackberry Pearl (still in the box) and a Sony laptop loaded with the Windows Vista. (Although, I’ll have to admit that the last example is not a sign of illness, it’s more of a common sense thing.)
- Your exercise regimen over the past 3 years has included, but not limited to: Crossfit, P90X, Zumba, Insanity, Kettlebells, Spinning, Pilates, and your choice of Prenatal, Hot, Power or Nude Yoga. (Caution: Never attempt to practice all five of these Yoga options at once.)
- You read books and blogs with titles that include… the numbers 1-100 followed by the words habits, tricks, tips… or timesavers.
From workout programs to maximizing our career potential, we have turned into a generation that demands a magic answer to whatever challenge that we would like to achieve. A world dominated by one big “Easy button”.
Since we at P1 Learning are firmly committed to the training business… and being an eLearning based company we are committed to be cutting edge. So we’ve got two choices.
- We can embrace this line of short term thinking. The suggested title of our next training series could be “The 237 Secret Sales Habits, Tricks, Tips and Timesavers of the Rich and Famous.” Hmmm… I kind of like it!
- Or we can stop the madness right here and now, and make a hasty return to the basics.
I believe that we’ll go with the second option. We have a lot of great content on the P1 Learning campus including a new series titled. Selling in the 21st Century. If you are expecting a series packed with “tricks”, you may be disappointed. Advertising if done correctly works beautifully and, there is no reason to trick anyone into using your services.
Enjoy the new content… and good luck to you in your quest to be brilliant at the basics! And remember, together we can stomp out S.O.S. in our lifetime. I’m Speed Marriott with P1 Learning. Good selling!